Mills in Alto Aragón - harinero, central eléctrica
Salinas de Jaca
Salinas de Jaca
should be on any
road map worth the name.
take the road for Pamplona. Don't cross
the bridge in Puente de la Reina de Jaca, but instead drive
straight-on towards Ayerbe
. Continue where
and then Salinas de Jaca
You will cross the Río Asabón
and then find
the mill near the river on your right (1). Walk through the pastures.
The mill was fed water from the Río Asabón.
Pictures: 26.XII.2000, 19.V.2011
(1) Molino Samper with the Sierra de Santa Domingo in the background - 2000
(2) anno 2000
(3) anno 2011
t the time of our first visit in 2000 the construction was
securely closed up (2) with a barking dog inside. We couldn't possibly enter. The short wall facing the
river was still covered with insulators and old wiring. So though we have no map showing any lines,
we knew this mill must have made electricity.
Ten years later the doors were open and the construction was in a sorry state with most
of the internals demolished (it's the same story everywhere: people can't leave things in peace).
(the lake: 4, 5) is situated
level with the mill's roof. In 2000 already trees had almost
colonized two thirths of the original volume of the lake.
The canal is substituted by a tube (8) running inside the former. That was probably a good way to reduce maintenance on
a long supply channel bringing the water from very far and from the other side of the road.
Other mills with a tubed canal are e.g. Yeste and Naval.
(4) mill with embalse (right) - 2011
(5) embalse level with the roof - 2000
(6) The workplace of the harinero
he entrance door opens to a workplace (6) with a layout which
is familiar from visits to other mills. We recognize a couple of stones, a crane and a contraption to filter unwanted particles
from the grain.
The stone is from France: around the eye we read
La Ferté - sous - Jouarre
Société Générale Meulière
Other French stones are found in e.g. Paternoy
. The cavity is filled with pieces coming from the electricity part of the building.
(8) Tube bringing the water
(9) Turbine; stripped switch board
(10) Some insulators; switches
(12) Maquinaria y Metalurgia Aragonesa
Zaragoza - Utebo
rom the harinero a door leads to
a much smaller separate space: the former electricity business of the site.
There isn't much left. The switchboard (9) is empty and the generators are removed.
The turbine is still at its place (11) and had a double purpose. To move both the
mill stones and the generators. Via cog wheels mounted on an axle through the wall (11 right) for the mill
and using a belt (left) for the dynamos.
he turbine (12) is labeled
Maquinaria y Metalurgia Aragonesa
Zaragoza - Utebo
A turbine of the same brand was found in Aguinalíu
MMA specialized in turbines and was at its height in the 1930s having about 250 people.
They sold 138 turbines during that decade.
Averly counted only 70 workers at that time (Found a turbine in Fiscal).
Maquinaria y Metalurgia Aragonesa managed to survive way into the 20st century and
was closed down in 1981 (allegedly because of mediocre management).
was founded in 1902 by Carlos Mendizábal Brunet who lead the company
from the start to 1908. The company took a huge interest in the well-being of
its workers. In 1910 already they provided medical and pharmaceutical assistance;
in 1918 a dining hall and in 1920 a primary school was installed with teachers of both sexes!