Mills in Alto Aragón - harinero
is an abandoned village and quite remote, but
with a rather good connection to the outside world. From Jaca take the main road to Pamplona
Do not cross the bridge at Puente la Reina
(de Jaca!) but instead straight-on towards Huesca
via the Puerto de Santa Barbara
. In the descent after the puerto You'll find Longás
signposted to the right and a while further down a bigger green panel with Hoya the Huesca
At that spot at your left hand side a gravel road runs into the hills. The track is negotiable with a normal car
but there are some difficult spots. It may be a good idea to drop your vehicle somewhere near the beginning
and walk the track to Paternoy (6 km).
(1) Dam on the Barranco de Paternoy
Do not enter Paternoy but, at the first houses,
walk the path to the right down the slope towards the Barranco de Paternoy and then follow
the water to the south. The dam (1) is located about half a kilometer from the village. You'll emerge at the
left side of the picture.
The dam is a nice piece of work making good use of the
local situation. On a solid base of natural rock (2) a wall is built which spans the whole riverbed.
A huge lake has formed but is now overgrown with reed. Soon trees will invade the space.
(2) Dam built on natural rock
he tap is at the left bank (2).
Where needed the channel is supported by carefully laid out stones (2).
The canal runs for about 300m and is then brutally severed by a new service track just before
it opens in a second lake (3) surrounded by earthen walls. These reach to the second floor of the
mill: try to spot the person in pict. 5.
The lake rests against one of the long walls of the mill (4).
Thick walls of masonry topped with some concrete form the drain towards the cárcavo (7).
(3) Lake next to the mill
(5) South face with entrance
(6) West face with drain
The outer walls of the construction at the time of our visit
stood still strong, but it's clear that this mill's time is running out because of the roof
showing the first leaks.
The entire first floor is dedicated to the
milling operation. The floor closest to the door is free of any machinery and probably served
as temporary storage and reception and exchange room (11).
(10) Farinal, crane with stones and dust cover.
(11) Crane with French stone from La Ferté
he stones are located in the next third (10).
They receive light through the one window in the opposite wall: that is the usual layout
Most of the things too heavy to be carried away are taken apart (why must people always demolish things?).
First there is a farinal with a cruz
mounted in one of the corners (10). The fresh flour was collected in this wooden box and sacks to be filled
where held open by the cruz. Pict 9 shows a nice specimen of this device found in the mill of Humo de Muro.
he dust cover is octogonal (10 background).
The stones are French from La Ferté (11). Notice also the three small containers
needed to balance the stone and on the side between the clamping rings the small holes (10 and 11) for the crane.
The central opening is encircled by the text
*** Alexandre Fauqueux & Cie ***
La Ferté s/ Jouarre (France)
(12) Seal of the Société Générale Meulière
he stone carries a huge seal (12). The center is a mill stone labeled S.G.M.
eulière. Above the stone come the arms of the city of La Ferté with the lions and below
the stone comes the text Marque De Fabrique Déposée
The Société Générale Meulière was created between 7 founding
members in 1881. Alexandre Fauqueux joined only in 1884 and there were some quarrels with S.G.M. and Dupety-Orsel (the
main competitor of S.G.M.)
about the perceived quality of each make of stone.
Other French stones are found in e.g. Cortillas, Sarvisé, Alquézar and Broto.
In Alquézar and Broto a couple coming from Dupety-Orsel (or the Grande Société Meulière, G.S.M.) was running.
We have also a page dedicated to the birthplaces of the stones:
La Ferté sous Jouarre and Epernon.
On the wall next to the stone is an engraving in the cement. It says Año 1935.
(13) Corn sifter
he back of the room (13) is occupied by
stairs to the second floor. A fanning mill used to clean the grain is placed next to the stairs.
A rough-and-ready system was set up.
A ribbon runs over a belt wheel below the window (10). This wheel is
fitted to an axle crossing the space just above the floor like a tripping wire (8).
A couple of cog-wheels then tap into the milling system.
The cárcavo is choked with silt.
The botana (nozzle in cement) with valve and all the control rods are in good shape.
I presume there is also a wheel below the surface.